A joint statement from:
Associated Builders and Contractors of South Texas
San Antonio Chapter of The Associated General Contractors of America
American Subcontractors Association/San Antonio Chapter
San Antonio’s construction industry has come together amidst the Coronavirus crisis to exchange best practices, generate ideas, and work together for the betterment of the industry and the San Antonio community.
Their goal is to keep the community and construction industry moving forward with a safe approach.
Critical to San Antonio’s economy, the construction industry provides consistent annual employment for over 58,000 workers in the metro area, with an annual payroll in excess of $2.8 billion.
Most construction craft professionals work 45 to 50 hours per week, creating a weekly payroll of approximately $55 million.
Almost all of this payroll goes directly back into the San Antonio economy having an economic ripple effect of the same amount.
To enhance safety protocols while continuing to positively impact the San Antonio economy, the construction industry has taken extraordinary steps to protect the health and safety of craft professionals, projects and the community.
Some of these steps include:
· Enhanced safety plans to include CDC COVID-19 protocols
· Signage across job sites to raise awareness of COVID-19 best practices and symptoms
· Staggered work hours
· Continual training, screening and monitoring of employees and subcontractors
· Use of available technology to restrict indoor face-to-face meetings
· Social distancing of at least 6 feet during outdoor safety stand down meetings
· Frequent hand washing, with additional hand washing stations throughout job sites
· Providing disinfecting wipes for elevator operators and hoist operators to sanitize surfaces
· Wearing gloves at all times
· Increased servicing and sanitizing of portable toilets
· Employees practicing CDC recommended hygiene
· Job site safety stand down meetings
Safety and integrity are valued above all else. San Antonio’s construction industry is focused on
ensuring that projects stay clean, stakeholders stay healthy, construction teams stay vigilant, and
projects stay on track to build the great future they are protecting.
This statement was originally circulated to member companies on April 1.