web analytics

Pharr: 120-Unit Affordable Multifamily Project Planned Next to Water Treatment Plant

Feature Illustration: Concept elevations of a residence building for Dahlia Villas in Pharr. Courtesy: Texas Grey Oaks LLC.

Posted: 7-27-2021

by Adolfo Pesquera

Pharr (Hidalgo County) — A Houston-based developer is on track to construct a 120-unit affordable housing apartment complex later this year that will be located next to the city’s Pharr Water Plant & Lab.

The project, Dahlia Villas, consists of five three-story residential buildings, each with a different architectural configuration, an amenity center, a courtyard with pool and grille house, a dog park adjacent to a playground, outdoor BBQ grill and shaded area, a stormwater detention area, and surface parking lot with electric vehicle charging stations and 14 handicap accessible parking spaces.

Services in the one-story amenity center building will include a club room with kitchen and foyer, business center, fitness center, mailroom, laundry, conference room, and lease office.

Aerial view of the project site for Dahlia Villas. Image: Google Earth/VBX graphic.

The circular parking lot can accommodate a total of 194 vehicles. The complex building will have a total area of approximately 116,765 square feet.

  • 95,351 SF apartment net rentable area
  • 4,598 SF amenity center
  • 7,242 SF of per-unit patio or balcony space
  • 6,063 SF of breezeways and stairs
  • 2,915 SF of other support areas, and a
  • 596 SF grille house

The property address is 409 W. Sam Houston Boulevard and an easement that leads north to Sam Houston is the only access the site has to the city’s street grid. The southern boundary abuts the city’s water treatment plant.

The 4.538-acre property was zoned neighborhood commercial and had to go through a zoning change to multifamily.

The developer of the project is doing a similar multifamily complex in McAllen (Uvalde Villas). Both are unique in that extra attention was given to accommodating mobility impaired and sight/hearing impairs tenants; 5% of units are being designed to accommodate persons in wheelchairs and 2% of units are designed to aid persons with sight and/or hearing disabilities.

The estimated construction cost (site work and vertical construction) is approximately $12,675,226. Total development cost was estimated at $18,171,265.

The developer, Texas Grey Oaks LLC applied for a 9% housing tax credit from the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs. The TDHCA Governing Board awarded a $1.5 million tax credit on July 22. This set the stage for the developer to close on the construction loan with a private lender, Community Bank of Texas, and instruct the architect to proceed with final design documents.

Texas Grey Oaks LLC, with a 60% interest, partnered up for the remaining 40% interest with LT Valley Electrical Services LLC, a historically underutilized business. Ultimately, Dhalia Villas will be owned by the yet to be formed TGO Dahlia 21 LP.

The development team includes general contractor T-Marq Construction Company, which is also controlled by the Texas Grey Oaks founder, Steve Lollis;  the Houston design firm Mucasey & Associates Architects; and civil engineer Melden & Hunt Inc.

VBX Project ID 2021-56AD


adolfo@virtualbx.com

Related Images

Construction Preview
By |2021-07-27T16:08:36-05:00July 27th, 2021|Construction Preview, Feature Story|

About the Author:

Adolfo Pesquera (Reporter/Editor) is a veteran news journalist. He has worked for Hearst Corp., American Lawyer Media, News Corp and Freedom Communications. His work has been published in newspapers and magazines across the USA. He is a journalism graduate of UT-RGV. He writes, edits and creates digital pages for VBX.

Leave A Comment