web analytics

Fredericksburg: City Gets Green Light to Begin Preparing an RFQ for Bridge and Sidewalk Project

Feature Photo: An aerial view of of the proposed L-shaped sidewalk project area. Image: City of Fredericksburg.

Posted: 6-8-2021

by Art Benavidez

Fredericksburg (Gillespie County) — City Council was provided with an update for the South Llano Shared-Use Bridge and East Ufer Street Sidewalk Project, during Monday’s meeting.

The city was informed that it had been awarded $902,748 in federal funds that is to be distributed by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) for this project.

The scope of work includes constructing a bridge across Barons Creek at South Llano Street, which is a dead-end south of the creek. The sidewalk project would go from the bridge over Barons Creek at South Lincoln Street, south to East Ufer Street, west to South Llano, and then north for two blocks to East San Antonio Street.

The development is expected to provide much needed connectivity between the historic shopping district and various regions south of Barons Creek that are vital to the city.

The estimated cost of $1.1 million includes design, environmental clearance, construction, TxDOT administrative costs and a 15% contingency.

The city had previously approved an application with TxDOT for a grant from the organization’s 2019 state call for projects for the Transportation Alternative Set-Aside Program.

The city was recently informed by TxDOT that the project was included for future federal funding consideration that would establish an 80% portion from the federal funds, with the city covering the remaining 20%, along with any cost overruns.

Kerrville-based developer Hammock LLC is constructing a hotel at the northwest corner of South Llano and Ufer Street, and will contribute $100,000 toward the bridge project, thanks to a development agreement with the city. The city can in turn include the contribution as part of the required 20% program match.

The city is expected to meet with TxDOT representatives in the near future to plan a funding itinerary.

While a resolution agreement is not expected until December, the city can begin preparing a Request for Qualifications to select an engineering design consultant for the project.

VBX Project ID: 2021-3EFF


art@virtualbx.com

Related Images

Construction Preview
By |2021-06-08T15:57:11-05:00June 8th, 2021|Construction Preview, Feature Story|

About the Author:

Art Benavidez (Construction News Reporter, Central Texas) is a seasoned journalist with over 15-years of experience in writing breaking news and in-depth features at the local level. He honed his research and reporting skills in newspapers and magazines throughout South and West Texas along with expertise in crafting digital content as Managing Editor of New Image Marketing Research Corporation. Benevidez is a Texas native and graduate of UT-RGV.

Leave A Comment